Nomination Criteria & Procedures
Recipients of this prestigious award are individuals who have distinguished themselves in a particular field and who have brought honor to the University. The Alumni Association Board of Directors will consider the following areas, focusing primarily on career achievement:
- Career Achievement
- Professional Membership/Directorship
- Professional Honors
- Community and/or Civic Engagement
The UMAA Board of Directors will select the recipients and reserves the right not to give an award. At its discretion, the Board may confirm the nominee's accomplishments, including checking references and academic records.
Awards may not be given to persons whose election would generate a potential conflict of interest with their current responsibilities and their selection as a Distinguished Alumni Award recipient, such as:
- Any person currently running for an elected office or considered for a political appointment.
- Executive officers of the University of Montana or staff of UMAA.
- Current members of the UMAA Board of Directors or trustees of the UM Foundation.
- Current UM faculty or staff members.
- Any person who, by other position of potential conflict of interest not previously identified above, is determined by the Board to be ineligible for this award.
Given that the Board of Directors considers a large number of nominations each year, they may approve up to six awards annually and may exceed this number, but only if unusual circumstances call for such an expansion of awards. A minimum number is not required. Nominees’ files will automatically be considered for three consecutive years. After this period, any unselected files will be shredded and those nominees cannot be re-nominated for two years. If re-nominated, a new nomination package is required.
- Complete an online nomination form for each candidate. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023.
- Please describe career accomplishments that distinguish the candidate as a UM alumnus/alumna. Selection is competitive. You may submit a reasonable amount of supporting documentation, which can include, but is not limited to, lists of published articles, other awards received, resumes or vitae. However, do not submit videotapes. A minimum of three supporting letters of recommendation must accompany the nomination.
Should you wish to submit a hard copy nomination, you can request a PDF form by contacting the Alumni Association via email at email@example.com or by calling the Alumni Office at 406-243-5211 or 877-UM-ALUMS (877-862-5867). Complete hard copy nominations must be postmarked by Monday, Feb. 20, 2023.