The University of Montana Alumni Association honors outstanding alumni who have graduated within the last decade with the Grizzly of the Last Decade Award. Recipients can be self-nominated or nominated by fellow alumni, faculty, staff and professional colleagues.
The Office of Alumni Relations and Alumni Association strongly encourage nominations that reflect the diversity of our alumni.
Recipients of this new award are reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Must be a graduate of the University of Montana or Missoula College (certificate, associate’s degree, undergraduate or graduate degree).
- Must have graduated within the last 10 years (as of Dec. 31 of the year nominated).
- Excelled early in their career and shows potential for continued success.
- Received recognition as an emerging leader through professional and/or community achievements.
- Attained positions with increasing responsibility within their organization, business or field of work.
- Received recognition for significant professional contributions, discoveries or creative work through honors, awards and/or media attention.
- Serves as an outstanding role model for current and future UM students.
Awards may not be given to people if:
- They are executive officers of the University of Montana or staff of the Office of Alumni Relations.
- They are current members of the UMAA Board of Directors.
- They, by other position of potential conflict of interest, are determined by the Recognition Committee to be ineligible for this award.
- To nominate, submit a letter with documentation noting the year of your graduation that will be verified by UMAA. The deadline for both hard copy and online submissions is Dec. 31, 2018. Hard copy nominations may be mailed to the UM Alumni Association, 107 Brantly Hall, University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812-7920. Electronic nominations may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Additional documentation may include up to three letters of recommendation and/or news/media articles.
- Applicants must agree that, if selected for the Grizzly of the Last Decade Award, they will provide a professional photograph that UMAA may include in its publications and promotions.
- The Recognition Committee of the UMAA Board of Directors will review the nominees and will select individuals for the Grizzly of the Last Decade Award on an annual basis. The committee will provide its slate of recommended award recipients to the entire UMAA Board of Directors for approval.
- The committee and/or the board may choose not to award any nominees in any given year.
- If a nominee is not selected in his/her first year, the materials will be held for a second year for consideration. After the second year, the nomination will no longer be valid.
- A letter will be sent to each recipient congratulating them on the award. An award certificate or other type of recognition gift will be included.
- Recipients’ names and photos will be posted on the UMAA website, provided to their respective UM college dean and featured in the Montanan and other publications from UMAA.