Rules and Regulations
1. The Parade Committee reserves the right to bar from the Parade, AT ANY TIME, any entry not conforming to the rules and regulations, or refusing to follow instructions of police or Parade Officials. The Parade Committee also reserves the right of final decision on entries accepted for the Parade.
2. Entries must avoid matter which discriminates against, is offensive to or disparages any person or group on the basis of race, gender, national origin, disability, political viewpoint, age, religion, sexual orientation or personal characteristics. Entries should limit their displays to positive identification of their group and a positive UM spirit-building artistic theme and message.
3. During election years, candidates for public office MUST group with others of their party to design a well-decorated entry promoting the Parade theme.
4. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES will be allowed on or in any entry vehicle. No consumption of alcoholic beverages by Parade participants will be allowed before or during the Parade. Parade officials will monitor all entries.
5. Reminder: CITY ORDINANCE PROHIBITS THE THROWING OF CANDY OR OTHER MATERIALS DURING THE PARADE. No candy or any other materials will be allowed to be thrown or dropped from floats or other vehicles along the Parade route by Parade entries. Only a parade participant on foot may hand candy or other items to parade spectators. To keep youngsters from surging into the street to retrieve candy, CANDY DISTRIBUTORS MUST WALK AT CURBSIDE TO HAND OUT CANDY. Please respect our concern for the safety of children.
6. All individuals and motorized vehicles must have their own liability insurance to relieve the University of Montana, the city of Missoula, and any members of the Parade staff from liability. Drivers are responsible for individuals on/around their entry. All riders must remain on the vehicle unless it is at a complete stop.
7. All vehicle drivers must hold a legal driver’s license and have unobstructed visibility. Distance between the Parade units must be no more than 10 feet. This distance must be maintained AT ALL TIMES.
8. ALL ENTRIES WITH ANIMALS must have POOPER SCOOPERS.
9. As a safety measure, in case of a real emergency, vehicles equipped with sirens or horns WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO BLOW THEM! No loud motorized vehicles or machinery will be allowed and absolutely NO revving of engines. Any entry that does not abide by this rule will be removed from the Parade.
10. IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARADE RULES, ALL FLOATS AND VEHICLES MUST BE DECORATED WITH THE HOMECOMING THEME.
11. PARADE NUMBER and Organization Name: You are responsible for providing your own official Parade line-up position number with organization name on one 36” x 24” (minimum) card. This must be prominently displayed on the front of your entry. It may be part of a banner that is carried in front of your entry, or on your vehicle or float.
Please call 406-243-5211 to register.